Monday, March 11, 2013

Pick n Pay Argus Cycle Tour 2013 Saga

Another night of the zombie Dad - haven't slept more than 3 hours straight in weeks. I love them to bits though so it's all worth it. Anyhoo, warned to be at the start of the race at least an hour before the time so me rocking up there at 30 minutes before the time is still an amazing achievement - especially considering that I almost completely bailed because I wasn't feeling  particularly bright eyed and bushy tailed. 

Just made it into my start chute in time to hear WHOOPLAH - and we're off. The first two hills; Hospital Bend and Edinburgh Drive got the legs warmed up but nothing really untoward. Just not feeling myself. Rode well within myself for the first 60 km thinking that later I could finish strong and attack the last two climbs; Chapman's Peak and Suikerbossie - I was wrong... The wheels came off, not literally but I just felt completely sapped. No will to live. I think my fitness dragged me through but I was not having fun. 

I should've done as a friend of mine did and just bailed when I realized it wasn't going to go well - he bailed after the first 5 km - smart move if you ask me. Hung on for the next 50 km, climbed ok'ish - but just couldn't put the hammer down. All in all a very disappointing experience. I expected a slow time but not a 4:50. I guessed I would do a 04:30 and that I would do it so comfortably that I wouldn't be in any pain. Again. I was wrong. So wrong. 

The equipment - prepped
The steed - prepped  
 The start - not prepped


Learnings
• don't ride a mountain bike in road tours about 100 km. 
• get some sleep, sometime, in this lifetime - but definitely before the next race. 
• to ride or not to ride - this is seriously in question - more soon. for now I'm dubious as to    whether its the best ROI for the time spent in terms of health and strength improvement.
• glad my pre-race ritual is improving, bike prep, equipment, food and clothing prep, course study, hydration prior, planning the morning, stretching, warm up - all improving. always room for improvement and learnings but happy that i am at least improving on the mechanics or racing.
• my motto when it comes to training is "No pain... please"





No comments:

Post a Comment