Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pick n Pay Argus Cycle Tour 2013

Well, its the Argus Cycle Tour tomorrow. I have a habit of doing it every 5 years or so. No training, no prep, just rocking up at the start of 108km of sunshine and big climbs. Should be grand. 

This year I'll be doing it on my full suspension mountain bike. Not ideal for this type of tour but I'll have to make do. I'm in the market for a road bike. Something I can go fast on. Had an interesting discussion at the Cycle Expo with a very interesting person named Heino from BMC cycles. 

He recommended that I steer away from road bikes altogether, especially aggressive geometry and look at buying a hard tail 29er mountain bike. Preferably, carbon with light wheels that I can swap out with slicks on days I want to do a road race. It really blew my thinking in terms of what I NEED to have and do to be a cyclist, to improve in the sport. I've been giving it some thought and I'm leaning towards the 29er from the utility perspective. I could use it to get faster on and off road.

Still the shopping around is yet to begin as I never even considered going this way. Will post pics of my short list soon. Shown here are my short list for road bikes: 

BMC SLR01


Giant TCR Composite 2


Scott CR1 Team 


Axis AR20c

No comments:

Post a Comment